Friday, February 13, 2009

Update to Image Resolution and More...


I have significantly improved the processing of the JLT file. This image on the right is the improved processing of the curves I described in the previous post. The processing of the details related to the masking operations works much better.

There is still work to do.

I have uploaded a file called "JayLight_021309.pdf" to the FTP area. I ask any one following this blog that also owns an Indigo to print this file and post detailed comments on the difference between what the Indigo produces on paper for the original file "Visio-JobTracking.pdf.jlt" and what the uploaded file produceds on paper.

The over all intesity of the color is something that I am unsure about. I would like to know if the image is more or less intense than the original. I believe that a compressed range of color is used in the JLT file which the press expands. What you will see with these two examples is a simple eye-ball comparison on the Mac screen.

Another area where I would like to you to looks is at the black text. I think that in terms of resolution this is as good as a low-resolution JLT gets using this specific JLT operator (I call the operator SHORT_GB). I am particularly interested in seeing how this acutally looks when printed.

The image is at the highest bit-density available for this JLT file type. I hope that the strokes look OK when imaged.

Also - anyone with multiple output devices, say an iGen or Xeikon, please feel free to image this file on that device as well. I am curious how the different RIPs handle the image.

I have some more complex test files which I am starting to work on that use an additional JLT operator. These currently have some issues and I have to integrate the current changes into this additional operator.

2 comments:

  1. Short answer: I had a chance to run both files late yesterday & the PDF looks pretty good! I'll into detail later, but the curves are nice & smooth and the color is pretty consistent in comparison to the JLT. All the black text & lines are screened on the PDF output however, not sure what that's about.

    I've had color issues in the past, and had an Indigo Tech tell me that sending as a JLT can introduce strange color conversion, that sending as a PDF is really the only way to ensure WYSIWYG. (What You Send Is What You Get) I mean, I've had a 65% Blk get converted to CMY when a JLT was processed, and only when I fed the press a PDF did it maintain the proper color. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your effort - I think (as I said in my email) things will be much better next time around...

    ReplyDelete