Thursday, February 5, 2009

Image Resolution Issues


So here is the current issue. The orginal PDF has a simple curve with two colors. It looks like the image at the left.

Notice how nice and smooth the curves are?

I copied this with Grab (Mac OS X) from the original PDF file right off of the screen.

The point here is that the smoothness of the curve is based on 1) the bezier function in PDF and 2) the hi-res Mac screen. This makes it all looks very nice.

The next image is taken from the Indigo extraction program that lets you export a RIPed file to a PDF.
In this case the file is being interpreted at the basic low JLT resolution of the file (about 2500 x 3500 pixels).

The export software does a bad job of this (you can speculate as to why) so the output is very "chunky". Also there are artifacts on the inside of the curve (the "chunky" light blue area).

There is also very poor conversion of the stroke to pixels.

The actual JLT file contains another level of detail (at four times the resolution). There are special JLT operators that, when interpreted, provide a much better output.

The bottom image is my output accounting for these special operators. Due to my buggy software you can see both the "chunky" form and the "hi-res" form overlaid. The hi-res is on the outside of the curve (where I interpret it correctly). The low res is on the inside of the curve (where I do not).

If you zoom in you will see my current issue - both the low and high res are overlayed - but I suspect this is incorrect. What I think I should see is the same smooth curve inside and outside. There is also a color issue which may be interacting with this process as well - note the washed out area.

1 comment:

  1. Hello
    I am trying to convert .jlt files to pdf or PS files.
    Does anyone know how to do this?

    ReplyDelete